Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Breast Is Best

{source}
Today I wanted to switch things up a little and talk on a specific  topic: Breastfeeding. I nursed Maddox for 15 months and now looking back I wish I would have went longer. I had a lot of pressure from others to stop nursing just because nursing a toddler in our society is "weird" for some reason. I am thankful now though that I have matured a lot more since then and I now realize that Bryan and I are the parents and when our time comes to be in the presence of God it is us who will have to give an account for how we raised our children not anyone else. So, I need to raise my children based on my convictions not on what society deems as normal or conventional. I plan to nurse Natalie for as long as she wishes because the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

Maddox was an awesome breast feeder right from the start. The only problem we ever had was that I had a very fast let down, so he couldn't swallow fast enough for a while. We always had to have a towel on hand until it slowed down enough that he wouldn't choke. 

If you are thinking about breastfeeding, here are some benefits: (These are just the ones I experienced, but you can go to the AAP website to read even more benefits)
-Maddox was never sick the whole time I nursed, though this may not apply to every baby. Breastfeeding is so good for their immune systems. It provides an extra layer of protection that formula just can't.
-Not having to wash bottles! Occasionally I'd have to wash a couple if someone else watched him, but not 10-12 a day!
-Convenience! I never had to worry about leaving the house without enough food for him and it is ready made! No mixing required!
-Bonding! It is such a special way to bond with your baby and you are providing something for them that  nobody else can.
-Chunky Babies! I don't think this applies to all babies, but Maddox was tiny and skinny when he was born and it only took a month of nursing for him to develop those cute fat rolls!

I just loved nursing Maddox. There were hard times where he just wanted to nurse all night and I would not sleep at all, but I would do it over again in a heartbeat and plan to once Natalie gets here! I hope she does as good as Maddox did because I would be heart broken if I couldn't nurse her! 

I think every momma should give it a shot and if it's not for you or it doesn't work out then a little breastmilk is better than none! It beaks my heart when mothers are just so against it and won't even try! I always tell pregnant women when they ask me about breastfeeding that it is a very self less thing. You have to die to your needs sometimes to meet the needs of your baby, but it is also so rewarding.

Side note: I just realized today that in November I'll have been nursing or pregnant for 3 consecutive years and counting! 

How long did you nurse your babies? Did you face any challenges that made you have to stop?

-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment