Friday, June 6, 2014

Pool Fun!


Today was a day full of playing! Cleaning definitely got put on the back burner today. I babysat Little Man today and he seemed to need a bit more attention than usual and Maddox just wanted to play and have my full attention all day, so I decided one day of not being right on top of my normal housekeeping wouldn't hurt nobody. At times I felt a little overwhelmed because I'm so used to cleaning as I go and not letting things get too out of hand, but that was just not possible today! 

After Little Man left, Maddox and I headed off to our local pool. We both were needing to get out of the house for a bit I think! He had a blast! We just stayed in the kiddie pool so he could have a little independence. I guess I didn't really think ahead of time that there would be bigger children (4-6 years old) in the kiddie pool too, not just toddlers. This worried me a little at first because I was afraid they would be too rough, but luckily there were some pretty nice kids there today! I also forgot how kids tend to take toys away from each other and then some parents don't say anything and just let their kids do it, but this was a great opportunity for me to teach Maddox that it's not a big deal and we will get the toy back eventually and if not that child needs it more than we do. This was a perfect way to practice Luke 6:30 "Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again." Generosity and being able to share are such important character qualities to learn and learning the right way to respond when someone does something that is not so nice. At times I thought maybe I'll just buy him his own little pool to put in our backyard so we don't have to worry about other kids being too rough or taking his toys, but then I thought he needs to learn how to be around and communicate with all types of people because in life he's not always just going to be around his church friends or family. I want the main influences in his life be people who hold our similar beliefs and convictions, but I also want him to learn how to patiently and lovingly communicate with people that may not have our same beliefs so that he can use those skills to point those them toward the Lord. I know he is way too little to understand a ministry mindset, but learning to share and to be generous is a great foundation to start on.
The only picture I managed to get today as we were leaving the pool! Note: I did fix his car seat straps and raised the chest plate before we left. If y'all don't know I am like the car seat safety police lol! I just can't stand to see kids not buckled in right because it is so important!
How do you teach your children to handle other children when playing in public places?

-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment