Friday, June 27, 2014

Positive Parenting

This is a topic that has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I thought I would just know how to discipline Maddox when the time came that he needed to be disciplined, but it turns out I have no idea what I'm doing! So, the first thing I like to do when I need answers to life's questions is to see what the Bible says about whatever I'm confused about. The first answer I found was in Proverbs 15:1 that says "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."  That really convicted my heart of not raising my voice at Maddox or anyone for that matter. I've noticed from working in the public and just being out in public that parents who yell at their kids, threaten their kids, or spank their kids the child(ren) tend to be more rambunctious and misbehave more than kids whose  parents discipline them positively and patiently. I know first hand though how much self control and patience it takes to be a positive parent and I fall short of that often. 

I want Maddox to honor Bryan and I and not see us as hypocrites because if we say it's not nice to hit others, but we spank him I can only imagine how confusing that would be.
I don't want to ever discipline Maddox out of anger. I need to remember that I am the adult and I have the learned ability of self control that Maddox just doesn't have yet and it is up to me to make the right decision. He doesn't know how to deal with his emotions such as anger and frustration, but I do and instead of getting angry and frustrated myself I need to teach him how to appropriately deal with those emotions. 

So my goal and prayer is that I grow in self control and patience so I can teach Maddox self control and patience. I want our home to be a happy peaceful home not a battlefield. We don't have a terrible discipline problem with Maddox because for an almost 2 year old he's pretty well behaved, but we do slip up in our positive parenting more than we should so that's what I would like to put an end to!
The only picture I managed to get from our day. Maddox playing at the Drs office.


How do you parent positively and patiently?? Any tips or advice?


-Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Hannah! Just what I needed to read after a hectic weekend! Love reading your posts and love your sweet family! We need to get together soon! Maddox and Roby would love playing together.

    ReplyDelete